"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Friday 5 June 2015

Two Issues:

among a myriad that are running about in my mind right now:

Friendship and Female Role and Image

Not possible to run through the whole thing for either in a post, but I am not your ordinary dame, so here I go. 

For most of my life presenting and convincing the world I'm male very successfully, I've seen one side of the Platonic relationship between men and women issue. It has been frustrating for the women I've known. We would get to know one another and share our expertise in some area or many, and then would get to that point where they want more... and I get all puzzled and then remember that they think that a man should want more from them.. he should want a sexual relationship of some sort; possibly superficial, possibly serious, but he should want something more because after all, isn't that all a man really wants anyway??

This past week I have ventured into that same issue from a different tack. As I told a male pal about his friend D, it didn't occur to me, but then it came back around from another friend in the know he had talked to; he wonders if as a woman I will still be his good friend. Can I still be his buddy? 
Can I? Of course I can.. after all I am still ME! right??? 
This new dame may be somewhat clueless or she may be on the right side of a more serious issue. 

This morning in BroadBlogs, they have touched on the Caitlyn Jenner Vanity Fair cover and what it says about how an older transsexual views womanhood. 
I have looked at that photo a few times and each time have taken close note of the feelings it has evoked in me. 
Some envy; after all Caitlyn has the money and lots of expertise at her disposal to appear to be young and sexy. Nothing at all wrong with wanting those things. 
Something else too though, and that something gets a good going over in an article by Rhonda Gerelick in the New York Times, where she notes "some disturbing truths about what we value and admire in women."

I feel better having read this. It says I am on the right track wondering about what sort of woman I am, and not feeling that it is necessary for me to follow some stereotype in order to fit in. Perhaps along the way to being me I will find more to being a woman than I ever imagined.

2 comments:

  1. Many of us have had a lifetime of wobbly relationships with women we wanted as "friends"! It is a strange world to live in if you are not interested in sex...

    Nobody wants to transition from playing one role to please people to playing another role to fit into another stereotype, you can only be yourself and hope that others like the honesty.

    Finally living without trying to double think everyone is the greatest joy...

    This week I spent a day shifting a curb-side delivery of paving bricks into my garden, I must have looked a mess but a woman stopped to chat and give me a rest, darling that looks like hard work she said... No stereotype here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can only be yourself and hope that others like the honesty. Agreed without question.
      If it is OK I do have some role models though, and you are definitely one Coline!

      Delete