"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Saturday 30 December 2017

Dare Greatly

This is that time when many make resolutions for the new year. From the small personal survey taken over six decades, I can boldly say that I am the only person I know to have kept that promise to myself. Made while in my twenties, I vowed to never make another new year's resolution.

If I was, in fact, going to break that vow now, it would likely be to promise to be bold - to have as many adventures as possible.  

Last year, as in the forty or so before, I made no resolution, but if I look over the year and search for a theme it is one of, in Brené Brown's words, daring greatly. 

2017 was a year of highs and lows.  I wouldn't change a thing. 

All the best to my readers everywhere. 
May 2018 be a year of love, risk, and reward. 

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. 
Because if you are making mistakes, 
then you are making new things, 
trying new things, 
learning, living, pushing yourself,           
changing yourself, changing your world.

You're doing things you've never done before, 
and more importantly, 
you're doing something

Neil Gaiman

10 comments:

  1. This is also from Neil Gaiman which I know you will follow:
    "May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like that one a lot. Happy New Year Abi!

      Delete
  2. All Best Wishes to You, Halle!

    I once resolved to make no resolutions too but I do make plenty of mistakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you make different mistakes though, and that is the secret!

      All the very best to you as well, Susan. :)

      Delete
  3. I raise my glass to mistakes made and growth attained! Prost and Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A toast to risk and reward. Prost and a wonderful 2018 R!

      Delete
  4. I never make New Year resolutions, so I can never be disappointed on that front. I do make mistakes however, without even trying. I sometimes think that so long as one is treading the Path one should, they're not really mistakes at all; just little nudges to keep one on track.

    All the best for 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember that; yes, nudges. Best wishes for 2018 Tom.

      K and I hope you have completely recovered from that fire.

      Delete