"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Monday 30 January 2017

How Do You See the World?

A week ago, the message on this poster was added to the banner below my sunrise photo. 

The photo in the poster was taken one grey morning after a very heavy snow storm. Everyone was complaining about how much snow had to be removed, how difficult the driving was and so forth. 

I thought it was beautiful!  ~ I still do. 

I have been saying it for so long, I cannot recall whether I thought of it myself, or someone else wrote it first. I'll be happy to add credit if someone can tell me who the author is (other than me, that is).

Postscript: The puzzle is solved. See Lindsay Byrnes' comment below.

6 comments:

  1. No matter what the weather someone always complains about it.
    I love the earthy smell you get after its rained.
    I love the way the world looks after its snowed properly, its been years since we've had proper snow.
    I love the picture, it has a Shindler's List feel to it with the hint of colour from the tree trunk amongst the overall black and white appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to appreciate in the world. Your comment about the hint of colour reminds me that I love the world in black and white with those hints of colour that we get in the winter here.
      You need to come to Ontario someday to see some proper snow Jenna.
      All the best.

      Delete
  2. I agree with the comment made by Jenna. I would further add that what we perceive as 'reality' is experienced through our emotions, moods and related thoughts. Therefore it becomes self-evident that HOW we see the world will always be more important than WHAT we think we see.

    Nice to read another of your posts, Halle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Halle,
    That would be Henry David Thoreau but on a lighter note how’s about some ideas on how to see the world accord’to to Fain’s legendary Francis Fryer: Oh, ev'ryone complains about the weather, But nobody ever done anything about it! Why don't they realise a very simple thing: You've gotta have a winter if you wanna have a spring! My friend, it all depends on Mother Nature; The laws of compensation stillas seen apply; Quit beefin' ‘bout the showers On a cloudy April day And think of the fields of flowers You'll be trippen through in May! So, if you still complain about the weather, Then why the devil don't you do something, Then why the devil don't you do something, Then why the devil don't you do something about it?
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay for the "ev'ryone complains... " poem. I had only heard the beginning and to be honest, had no idea there was more.

      And as well for the Thoreau reference, thank you. Mine is a paraphrase, and I am quite happy with that.

      For those who care:

      It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
      Henry David Thoreau

      Delete