"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Sunday 5 February 2012

Best Before Dates

My friend Sarah from the UK sent along a link that led me to "Inspiration and Chai", a blog written by Bronnie Ware, a palliative nurse from Australia.

In the post "Regrets of the Dying" Bonnie has summarized the main ideas from her book, "Top Five Regrets of the Dying".

I was not surprised to find this regret to be number one:

I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."


I observe amazing sychronicity of ideas being sent my way at times. Last week, my therapist mentioned the idea that we all have an invisible 'best before date' on us, and we need to keep in mind that even if we don't know what the date is, it exists, and living as though it does promotes a healthier approach to living.

As a good friend put it, "We should always live as though today is our last".

3 comments:

  1. Last night, I posted to my Facebook page, several items on being authentic. One of these from a well respected TV talk show host.

    "Be your authentic self. Your authentic self is who you are when you have no fear of judgment, or before the world starts pushing you around and telling you who you're supposed to be. Your fictional self is who you are when you have a social mask on to please everyone else. Give yourself permission to be your authentic self."
    -Dr. Phil

    Less than a year ago I made what was at the time a crushing realization. The masks I was wearing were suffocating me. I knew to live I needed to take steps to live authentically. What I lacked at the time was courage. Over time courage was replaced by experience, and it feels very right to be on my way. No regrets.

    It is my hope that everyone who follows a path is able to gain their true selves along the way, in whatever form is right for them. What a sense of freeing this is!

    Ciao!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the phrase 'give yourself permission', but as you suggest, just having permission might not be enough to help some of us overcome our fears.

    The realization that the mask will kill you before you can live authentically is what spurred you to action.

    So glad to know this has worked for you Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my best before date would have been about 1980. So many products are thrown away when they still have a useful life and that is sad...

    ReplyDelete