"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Saturday 13 April 2013

Sad Ferrari


Try as I might, my heart is not fooled, just my mind.

Three weeks ago, my wife and I were at a mall in a tourist town escaping cold windy weather. Tired of looking at the beautiful clothing and jewellery that is forbidden to my sex I took refuge in a comfortable chair and my sudoko book.

Close by was a children's entertainment area, with a merry go round and bungee-jumping and the inevitable horse or car or truck that the little ones can sit on and for a quarter pretend to be the driver. I love the look on the face of a little one at times like these; those that don't start to cry that is. 

One of the 'rides' made me feel inexplicably sad. It was a racing car on a post, waiting for that 25 cent donation to get it to lurch forward back up and down one more time. 

I had no idea why this made me feel this way, but I turned away from the scene as though it had power to hurt me.

I hadn't given that toy racing car a thought until this morning when what I wrote in a letter to a good friend suddenly brought back and fleshed out my sadness.

I wrote:

"I mostly just feel like my life is a tram that is running around its little track over and over and I am a Ferrari that has been made to look and act like a trolley car."

Silly troublesome heart.
  


4 comments:

  1. I have always hated zoos. When very young there was a Day trip to one and I was torn between the fascination of seeing the animals only seen in books before then and the prison like conditions they seemed to have to endure...

    Already I had found myself trapped in the even small space of my own body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The image of a caged animal always disturbed me too. I was always busy when it was time to take the kids to the zoo. I never wanted them to see my reaction, or try to hide or explain it. For a long time I just let on it was part of my general weirdness.

      Delete
  2. Whoever said 'there are strings in the human heart that had better not be vibrated' was so right.

    ReplyDelete