"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Friday 20 February 2015

My New Friend

This post has no trans content, so it might be a little boring for some who stop by. Sorry about that. 

This is about being overwhelmed by reality. I am not used to being so emotional, and I've felt overtaken by emotion since my new friend and I said goodbye on Wednesday at 2 pm. 

First the story of meeting my friend Alice.

Late last week, Cassidy told me about her friend Alice, who lives only an hour and a half's drive away from where my sweetie and I live! She was sure the two of us would get along well and suggested I should get in touch with her.

A couple of emails later, we had arrange to meet for lunch, photos exchanged.

Arriving early, I chose a table in the back corner of the restaurant. It was a place where we could be comfortable talking and not be overheard. If I get to choose the table next time, and oh yes, there must be a next time, I won't be worried about such things. Who would care to listen in to a couple of girlfriends catching up on their lives?

We talked about so many things, and as Alice wrote, we barely scratched the surface. We have years of catching up to do.

Why so emotional? It might be that this lunchtime get-together was the very first time the real me ever had lunch with another person. It probably has to do with having a conversation where there was no need to filter my thoughts for the person across the table. Powerful stuff that. 

Some of you might know, or at least remember the feeling of having to take off your girl clothes and makeup and put it all away. In spite of the fact that I was in drab, it felt like that to say goodbye to Alice. It has taken me over a day to realize who I am is something I never have to take off or put away ever again. 

8 comments:

  1. So glad for you Halle, you have put it so well!
    Abi, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Halle,
    It was a pleasure to meet you too. I enjoyed our conversation very much. It is nice for me to have a girlfriend close by.
    Cassidy'd idea of introducing us was brilliant. I hope we can see each other again, and soon.
    Have a great day. -alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I thought your post was fantastic. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Halle
    A small step taken in friendship has rather obviously meant a great deal more in retrospect. The best way forward is so often a matter of taking many little steps, from which big things can often come,
    And rather obviously you have some great support from very caring people who have made a big difference. .
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to read this. Prost, dear Halle!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much. There are times when I just have to give my head a good shake to confirm this is me who has such wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Halle!

    It was a pleasure for April and I to connect two of our favorite people. I only wish we'd thought of it sooner! I'm very much looking forward to reading about your future get-togethers in the weeks and months to come. :D Enjoy, sweetie!

    Hugs & love,
    Cass xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be regaled most certainly, however, I know we are all looking forward to your visit, where we can sit around and gab! :-D
      Thank you again...
      Love you too Cassidy!
      Halle xoxoxoxo

      Delete