"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Sunday 19 June 2016

A short update on the beginning of the rest of my life

What a marvel we humans are! Perhaps it is part of our evolutionary advantage at work here, after all, we are the most adaptive species on the planet, for in a very short time after abandoning all pretence of maleness, so much has become very matter-of-fact that not so long ago would have brought a rise in blood pressure at the very least. 

A few weeks ago now, I participated in a concert with a local musical group. Without going into huge detail, I was up front at the concert at three different times, and spoke to the audience as well, as part of that. My voice is still very much a work in progress, but I simply did my best, and it worked out fine. 

As well, my usual black slacks and shirt were replaced by a little black dress, and some subtle, but meaningful jewelry. The only comments, and they came from some of the other gals in the group, were of the nature "If I had legs like that I'd be wearing that dress too!".  We laughed and kept one another relaxed before and during the concert. Afterwards we partied.

I felt calm and happy all the way through, with only the typical nervousness that comes when one cares about doing well. 

One other thing to report is one more piece of the necessary paperwork to move forward safely as myself arrived this past week. I have a birth certificate in my name and with the letter F in the correct spot; official recognition that an error was made a long time ago, but we have remedied that. 

By the way, Happy Fathers' Day to all of you who have had the pleasure to be one. As confusing as it might be for my children to have to introduce a woman as their father, it is something I would never, ever deny. I am always going to be their Dad. I hope they will always be proud to be my children, whatever they decide to call me. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Halle -with apologies for adapting/ using the lyrics of one of my favorite composers - George Gershwin

    The way you wear your hat
    The way you sip your tea
    The memory of all that
    No, no, they can't take that away from Halle

    The way your write just beams
    The way you used to sing off-key ?
    The way you write your BLOG
    No, no, they can't take that away from Halle

    We may never, never meet on the bumpy road of life
    But there will always be the memory of...
    The way you've changed your life
    No, no, they can't take that away from Halle
    No, they can't take that away from Halle

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, that is cute Lindsay. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. another huge step forward and the world has not come to an end. Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think about how much and how long I worried!

      Delete
  3. Your errant and inconstant friend, admirer and countrywoman shares delight in this note from afar.

    Bold beauty. Much admiration for the way in which you have plucked the roses and diminished the thorns.

    xoxo- Petra

    ReplyDelete