"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Saturday 16 November 2019

A Natural Woman

This past week K and I were at our weekly band rehearsal. We were stopped during a rendition of a medley of songs that are a tribute to Aretha Franklin. The conductor made some comment about the song A Natural Woman and got a laugh from the group when he said "Of course I'm not saying I am a natural woman!

K looked over at me and we shared a private grin at that, too. 

Thinking about it later on, what was gratifying is that nobody in the group felt they couldn't laugh along at that. Perhaps I am not the transexual in the room after all. 

This week leading up to November 20 (Transgender Day of Remembrance) is Transgender Awareness Week. Thinking about that has made me conscious that while I make no effort to hide myself (no shy violet here), I don't actively represent the transexual community in any fashion. As I've said before here, I'm happy now to get on with my life. I am just me.

I've often thought that if anyone ever wanted to talk to me, in a respectful way, about our subsection of the population I would be happy to do so. The only advertisement for my openness to such a conversation is a friendly attitude.

In band we don't pay any attention to the lyrics of this song, but here they are. Reading them, I'm reminded how grateful I am to have travelled this path, where I found myself and K found me. 

Looking out on the morning rain
I used to feel so uninspired
And when I knew I had to face another day
Lord, it made me feel so tired ...

Before the day I met you, life was so unkind
But you're the key to my peace of mind
'Cause you make me feel like
A natural woman ...

When my soul was in the lost and found
You came along to claim it
I didn't know just what was wrong with me
'Til your kiss helped me name it
Now I'm no longer doubtful, of what I'm living for
And if I make you happy I don't need to do more ...

Oh, baby, what you've done to me
You make me feel so good inside 
And I just want to be, close to you 

You make me feel so alive ...

1 comment: