"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Saturday 19 January 2019

Christian Education?

I never did or said anything hateful to or about my sister before she disowned me, and I won't now. But, it frustrates me to think that her reason for choosing to put me out of her life had to do with the teachings of a church she and her family attend. This church that calls itself Christian has taught her that I am an abomination as are those like me.

The wife of the Vice President of the United States, Karen Pence, is a teacher. The news says she has taken a job at a school that does what they can to have no LGBTQ teachers or students. The report I read seemed to report this news fairly, but it seems some media have been critical of the "second family". Read about her husband's reaction to the criticism here, or wherever you like via a search of the internet. 

I really don't object to folks teaching where they like. If that place happens to seem bigoted to many and a teacher supports that school's point of view, then I say you shall know them by their fruits to quote another great teacher. 

Vice President Pence is quoted as saying: 

“...  to see major news organizations attacking Christian education, is deeply offensive to us."
"We have a rich tradition in America of Christian education and, frankly, religious education broadly defined. We celebrate it. The freedom of religion is enshrined in the Constitution of the United States. The Constitution prohibits a religious test for holding a public office and so we’ll let the other critics roll off our back, but this criticism of Christian education in America should stop."

What I object to is that news organizations let people get away with this sort of distortion of what it means to be Christian. What major news organizations are critical of is bigotry, not Christianity.

Perhaps those who believe one cannot be Christian and gay or transgender, should check out, then have an argument with the churches around the world who consider themselves to be Christian, and also support LGBT rights. 

More important, in the long term, knowing that the Vice President of the United States only serves some of the citizens of that country must be somewhat worrisome to those who think Mike Pence might inherit his boss's job. Then again, what would change?

10 comments:

  1. The VP"S comments make me puke. Pence and his wife are classic HIPPOCRATES.
    God gave you a BRAIN. It is up to YOU to provide the proper SOFTWARE. Gods REAL 'software' is LOVE, ACCEPTANCE, and FORGIVENESS.
    HATE and DIVISION are the massage of 'Proto-nazi' Pence and his kind. Somehow the 'Religious Right's', "Corrupt Christianity" is the rule of the day for the current 'ruler'. This too, will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't say anything hateful about your sister, so I will. She's a bigot. Simple as that. She may be a Christian, but she has been brainwashed by her church. God help her and anyone else who claims to be a Christian yet discriminates against others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents have a son - who claims to be Christian - who has turned his back on me since I came out over five years ago. You are a far better person than I am, Halle, because I have no problem whatsoever calling him precisely what he is: hateful, ignorant, bigoted garbage. One thing I will *not* call him: brother. I no longer have one. My gain; his loss. The same for you with your sister.

    Hugs and love,
    Cassidy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always believed that what she did has hurt her more than it has hurt me, so we are in agreement.

      Love you too, dear Cassidy.

      Delete
  4. Hi Halle,
    Over 150 years ago the Danish theologian and philosopher Søren Kierkegaard said 'Once you label me you negate me'. That continues on in its many bad forms today, in labelling and discriminatory practices applied by some religious organisations.
    That flies in the face of the 'ONE' to whom they seek as their Teacher.
    On the other hand Pauline manuscripts to which they reference, were directed to communities struggling to understand how to merge Greek rationalism (their culture and pagan practices) with the Hebrew texts. Words we use today were not used then and the meanings and interpretations must form part of a canon before any tentative conclusions might be drawn. Taking a few lines here and there, maybe out of context and not knowing the audience then, leads to erroneous conclusions.
    Even our current PM, Morrison, a devout member of a conservative church with his wife and family, has gained bipartisan agreement to repeal legislation, that currently allows religious organisations to discriminate against students and teachers based on sexuality. Not that there is any evidence I know of that organisations do behave in that manner.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsay. The trouble starts when someone invokes the "word of God" claim. Any discussion about these writings being addressed to people of that time gets swept up in a storm of irrational beliefs.

      I do appreciate reading your thoughts on this topic. Your comment on the repeal of legislation has made me wonder if these haters use religion in purpose so they can claim they gave a right to religious freedom and can therefore be as bigoted as they like with impunity.

      Delete
  5. From time to time, Lucy [my wife] and I express the wish that President Trump would conveniently 'disappear'; not violently, just poof! disappear. Unfortunately, there comes the inevitable rejoinder, "Yes, but look at the Vice President. He'd take over!" So I just hope the whole dysfunctional crowd get voted out of office as soon as possible. Of course that won't sort out good old Christian America, but one can hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems likely that conversation or one close to it has taken place in some very large number of households this past two years. I know it has in ours!
      As for "Christian America" it worries me to consider how docile this population has become. The situation could get much worse before it gets better.

      Delete