"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

- - scatterings of ideas sent to my younger self, a sensitive girl who was fooled into believing she was a boy because of anatomy - -

Monday 7 June 2010

Half of The Time We're Gone, But We Don't Know Where

Public Service Announcement: Quick! Turn up the television! Put on the radio! Thought Alert!
None of you have to ask me because I wonder about it myself: where do all these crazy ideas come from? I have a suggestion. All of us have an idea factory, producing them in huge quantities. The reason we don’t hear them all is that we are distracted much of the time. In my case, working full time in an area that required a lot of mental focus distracted me for many years from consciously observing most of my ideas. Even when they came, I was distracted from them very quickly, and not just by the work; by the noise and fuss that is an integral part of our society. Paul Simon said it many years ago: “half of the time were gone, but we don’t know where”.

And now for your diversion, An Allegory:

In our part of Ontario we get lots of visits from fox, rabbits, the odd bear or moose as well as the regular sort of wild mammals that inhabit most of Eastern North America; mice, squirrels, chipmunks and raccoons. We also get lots of deer.
It is interesting watching deer feed, especially as a contrast to watching a domesticated cow doing the same thing. The cow is the ultimate model of confidence. No dangers exist in the life of the cow (they think), so while they eat they have a dull (no stupid is more appropriate) look. They take their time, moving slowly toward their next meal, or, whatever.
A deer is agitated while it eats, as though it is aware that eating might distract her from noticing a predator lurking in the forest nearby. The ears rotate in a sort of twitch. The eyes are bright and so alive.

Perhaps you may have noticed that getting distracted sometimes seems to be the number one goal of our society. People watch television, even when there is nothing on that interests us. Music playing in the background keeps shoppers from noticing that there is nothing they really need in the stores. Television screens on the walls of buildings convince us their product is one we really must have. Everywhere we go, distractions follow. Unaware of ourselves, senses are dulled to our surroundings and original thoughts are unable to penetrate the wall of sensory overload. Happy and contented we buy products we are told to buy and believe the advertising we are drowned in. Every now and then we wonder where our independence has gone, only to be distracted again and forget that thought entirely, returning to blissful ignorance.
No thinking required; thinking discouraged. Docile, Contented. Domesticated.
Like the cattle, we cannot be blamed if we do not know the truth of our lives, since it has always been that way.

If my guess is right, the previous description does not fit you, sisters and brothers of Blogistan. Let’s just say that I can hear your ears twitching, as are mine. Please, please, please don’t let it bother you that you aren’t domesticated yet. I for one love all of the 'outside the box' thinking that goes on here. I love that many of you will challenge my ideas and intrude with your own. It is why I am here. Above all, let your honesty shine.

Hugs,
Halle  

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I got nothing to do today but smile.

    Like Rush Limbaugh says, "You don't need to think. I'll tell you what to think." Roger Waters compared these people to sheep rather than cattle, but it's largely the same.

    I have to say that when I'm in Leslie mode, I'm as alert as a feeding deer. Deer in the headlights, actually. But feeling alive, fer shur.

    LOVE the song reference, a long time favorite. Sounds good on my guitar, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let your honesty shine, shine , shine.. like it shines for me!

    ReplyDelete